Our homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is the ultimate cold weather meal! This easy soup is full of flavor with tender chicken and veggies.
Soup recipes are a popular dinner choice this time of the year! It feels cozy to have a warm bowl of soup with homemade dinner rolls or baguettes on the side.
Everything You Need To Make This Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
This homemade soup recipe calls for simple ingredients that are widely available. Once when I was in a pinch, I found the ingredients to make it at a gas station! You can also make it with diced turkey instead of chicken and use rice instead of noodles.
- Butter: Melted butter is used for sauteeing the diced vegetables, which adds flavor and helps tenderize them.
- Veggies: This homestyle chicken noodle soup includes the classic vegetables: onion, carrots, and celery, as well as some minced garlic for added flavor.
- Chicken Broth: We used “Better than Bouillion” to make the chicken broth, and the flavor was fantastic, but you can use any chicken broth you want.
- Seasoning: The only added seasonings are bay leaves and black pepper.
- Chicken: We used rotisserie chicken for convenience as well as the flavor it adds. You can also make air fryer chicken breasts or oven-baked chicken.
- Egg Noodles: You’ll need three cups of cooked egg noodles. You can cook them in a separate pot while you get the soup started or make them ahead of time.
- Garnish: We sprinkled a little chopped fresh parsley on top of the soup for added color.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This is one of those classic recipes that are easy to make yet taste better than anything you can buy. We especially crave this soup during the cooler months and when feeling under the weather.
- Veggies: Saute the veggies in melted butter, and after a few minutes, add the minced garlic.
- Broth: Boil the chicken broth, bay leaves, and black pepper until the carrots are tender.
- Chicken: Add the chicken and bring the broth to a boil again.
- Noodles: Stir in the cooked egg noodles and then remove the pot from the heat.
- Garnish: Use a little fresh parsley for garnish.
This recipe is easily adaptable! You can add more veggies, use other kinds of meat, or substitute one ingredient with another. Plus, you can use this recipe as the start for other soup recipes. Here are a few suggestions:
Chicken and Rice Soup
To turn this into chicken and rice soup, substitute the egg noodles with cooked jasmine rice.
Creamy Chicken Soup
Stir two tablespoons of all-purpose flour into the sauteed vegetables and cook while stirring for two minutes. Follow the recipe as directed, and then stir in a quarter cup of heavy cream after removing the pot from the heat.
How To Store Leftovers
Allow the soup to cool, and then store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If you want to freeze the leftovers, you can, but for the best results, you’ll want to freeze it without the noodles and wait to add them until after you reheat it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make sure you start with a flavorful chicken broth. If the broth needs more flavor, you can add chicken bouillon. It’s also important to saute the diced veggies in butter before adding the broth. And if you feel that it is still missing something, try adding a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
To make this in a slow cooker, put two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a slow cooker, add the sauteed veggies, and the remaining ingredients except for the cooked noodles and parsley. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove the chicken and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Return it to the slow cooker with the cooked noodles. Cover until the noodles are heated through.
It goes well with a sandwich, a salad, and a fresh baguette or dinner roll.
Want more soup recipes? Try these next
Crock Pot Chili is a great choice for a family dinner, potluck, or party! This recipe is easy to make with ground beef, beans, onion, peppers, and tomatoes.
This cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is a family favorite that my mom always made us along with her homemade dinner rolls!
We love this creamy Corn Chowder with bacon crumbles on top and homemade breadsticks on the side.
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaves, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until the carrots are tender.
- Discard the bay leaves, add the diced chicken and return the soup to a boil.
- Stir in the cooked egg noodles, cover, and return the soup to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
BEST chicken noodle soup I have ever had!! I wasn’t that big of a fan of chicken noodle soup before but this recipe changed my mind! The soup is so flavorful and comforting, I will never go back to any other chicken noodle soup!
This soup is the perfect comfort food. Our whole family loved it!