Fried Zucchini is the BEST way to eat summer squash! It has crispy, flavorful breading on the outside with tender zucchini on the inside.
We’ve been making different versions of this recipe for years but finally nailed down how to make the crispiest, the most flavorful, the most amazing fried zucchini bites ever! Even our pickiest eater enjoyed them. We dip them in chipotle ranch dressing, sriracha mayo, and homemade ranch dressing.
Fried Zucchini Ingredients
To make this recipe you’ll need zucchini as well as the ingredients for a three-step breading and oil to fry them in. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Zucchini: We only used one zucchini to make this recipe but if you want to make more simply increase the amount of breading ingredients.
- Flour: The flour is the first step in the three-step breading process. It makes a dry even surface for the eggs to stick to.
- Egg: The second step is the beaten egg which sticks to the flour and helps the breadcrumbs mixture adhere.
- Breadcrumbs: The third step is the breadcrumbs. We chose panko breadcrumbs for their larger size and light crispy texture. If you can’t find panko you can use traditional breadcrumbs instead.
- Parmesan: The freshly grated parmesan adds flavor and helps the breading turn golden brown when fried.
- Seasoning: We seasoned the breading with garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper. Although you can use whatever seasonings you prefer, make sure the breading is well seasoned for the best results.
- Oil: We fried the zucchini in vegetable oil but you could also use peanut oil or canola oil.
How To Make Fried Zucchini
This recipe is easy to make but takes a little patience with the breading and extra care with deep-frying. So give yourself enough time and be careful with the hot oil. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Slice: Start by slicing the zucchini into about 1/4-inch slices. You want to make the slices thick enough that they can hold the breading but not so thick that they won’t get tender when fried.
- Breading: Coat the zucchini slices in flour, then in the beaten eggs, and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs mixture.
- Cook: Fry the breaded zucchini bites in hot oil until they are golden brown.
Dipping Sauces For Fried Zucchini
Although the crispy zucchini bites are great on their own, they are even more amazing when dipped in your favorite sauce. Here are a few recipes to try:
Fried Zucchini Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
You need to use the classic three-part breading process. First coat the slices in flour, then in beaten eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
Yes, you can make fried zucchini in an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F and spray the basket with olive oil spray. Add several coated zucchini slices and spray them with olive oil. Cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking.
For the crispiest zucchini, cut thin slices of zucchini (thick slices will have too much moisture and won’t get tender when frying) and coat them in flour (it gives the slices a dry surface for the egg to adhere to).
Want more deep-fried recipes? Try these next:
Corn Nuggets are a delicious, cheesy, crispy appetizer! They have melted cheese and corn on the inside with a crispy exterior.
This Hushpuppies recipe is a southern favorite! Serve them with a drizzle of honey or dip them in ranch dressing.
Our Jalapeno Popper Bites are melted balls of cheese stuffed with diced jalapeños and bacon. They are coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried.
These Mini Corn Dogs are kid-approved! They are hand-dipped in honey-sweetened cornmeal batter and deep-fried until golden brown.