Crispy Chicken Parmesan topped with sauce and melted mozzarella is a restaurant favorite that you can make at home! Your family will love it!
When we eat at an Italian restaurant I have two things I love to order: fettuccini alfredo and chicken parmigiana! This chicken parmesan recipe is surprisingly easy to make and my family would eat it every week!
Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
Chicken Parmesan is made with simple ingredients and is easy to assemble and cook. You can use more or less of any of the ingredients depending on what your family prefers. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Chicken Breasts: We used one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make this recipe and since they are split in half you end up getting four servings.
- Breadcrumbs: There are two styles of breadcrumbs in this recipe. The panko style breadcrumbs are larger in size, as well as crispier and lighter. The Italian seasoned breadcrumbs are traditional breadcrumbs with seasonings added. We love the combination of the two but you can choose to use only one style if you prefer.
- Parmesan Cheese: For the best results, you’ll want to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese! You can grate it yourself or find it already grated in the deli section of your local grocery store.
- Flour: The all purpose flour is used to lightly coat the chicken before dipping it in the eggs.
- Eggs: The eggs are whisked with a little water and help the breading stick to the chicken.
- Seasonings: For the seasonings in this recipe we used garlic powder, sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, and dried parsley.
- Oils: When cooking the chicken we used a combination butter and canola oil.
- Sauce: You’ll need some of your favorite red sauce to make this chicken parmesan. You can use marinara, spaghetti sauce, or even pizza sauce.
- Cheese: And of course we need some mozzarella cheese to melt on top!
How To Make Chicken Parmesan
The two most important things to keep in mind when making chicken parmigiana is that you want to use thin chicken breasts and cook them over medium-low heat. The chicken is thin and it doesn’t take long to cook and you want to keep the temperature low so that you get a perfect golden crust! Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Breading: This recipe uses a three part breading. Start by combining the panko, Italian breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, and garlic powder in a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk together the eggs and water in a separate bowl and put the flour in a third bowl.
- Chicken: To make thin chicken cutlets from the chicken breasts, you’ll need to slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally. Then, place them between sheets of parchment paper and pound them until they are an even thickness. Coat the cutlets in the three-step breading and spinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cooking: Cook the chicken cutlets in the hot oil and butter, over medium-low heat; for about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Baking: Place the parmesan crusted chicken on a baking sheet and top it with sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Place the pan under the broiler for a minute or two until the cheese is melted.
- More Sauce: If you like more sauce, you can spread red sauce in a baking dish and put the chicken on top. Then put additional sauce on top of the chicken and add the mozzarella cheese. Bake it at 400˚F for 5-7 minutes.
Chicken Parmesan Frequently Asked Questions
You can bake this chicken parmesan in the oven! Place the breaded chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet and spray them with olive oil. Bake the chicken at 400˚F for 17-21 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F. Then, top the chicken with the sauce and mozzarella cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
Chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana are the same dish! It is crispy chicken with a parmesan breading coated in sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Chicken parmesan pairs well with pasta dishes and salads. For an appetizer try focaccia bread, garlic knots, or breadsticks. As a side serve Italian sausage soup and a salad. And for the main dish serve the chicken parmesan on spaghetti noodles, ziti, or spaghetti squash.
Want more chicken recipes? Try these next:
This Honey Garlic Chicken recipe is so easy to prepare and will be a family favorite! Made with chicken breasts and a four-ingredient honey garlic sauce.
This one-pan Lemon Chicken with asparagus is full of flavor and done in only 10 minutes! A great way to use leftover chicken or make with rotisserie chicken.
This Garlic and Herb Chicken recipe makes the BEST juicy, tender, flavorful chicken that is a perfect main dish or delicious on a salad and pasta.
This Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash recipe is comfort food that is easy to make. Your family won’t even miss the pasta!