Everyone loves apple desserts during the holidays! Today I’m sharing a recipe for individual apple tarts made with a puff pastry crust.Every autumn we celebrate fall birthdays with a group of friends by going out to dinner and spending the evening together. Although we do get together with our families throughout the year, every autumn we say that we need to go out as couples more often! This year we went to a restaurant called Cossettas that had a huge pasticceria (or pastry shop) in it. I was amazed by all of the desserts and want to try each and every one. We were told that except for a few of the imported Italian chocolates, everything is made in their in-house bakery. There were cheesecakes, tarts, canoli, macaroons, pies, cupcakes and even gelato! Swoon!
Here is a picture of one small section of the pastry display case. I thought the apple tarts on the left were adorable so I had to try making my own version.
I don’t have any mini tart pans so I used puff pastry because I wanted it to puff up around the apples. I cut one thawed piece of puff pastry into 4 pieces and used a small glass bowl to cut out 4 circles of dough.
Then, I peeled 2 green apples, sliced them in half and removed the core. I cut the halves into thin slices.
Put the circles of dough on a greased, or Silpan covered baking sheet. Put a little applesauce in the center of the circle and top it with apple slices, cinnamon, sugar and butter.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn oven to 375 degrees and bake for 15 minutes until dark golden brown.
Drizzle the warm apple tarts with caramel ice cream topping.
Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and take a bite! Enjoy the soft, tart apples, sweet cinnamon and sugar on a flaky pastry crust. Make this apple tart recipe for the holidays and impress your guests with this delicious dessert that looks so pretty.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the puff pastry into 4 large circles and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of apple sauce into the center of the circle.
- Cut the apples in half and thinly slice.
- Fan apple slices into the center of the pastry circle.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture onto the apples in each pastry.
- Top with 1/4 tablespoon butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven to 375 and bake for 15 minutes until dark golden brown
Here are a few more apple desserts to try: