A Chocolate Milkshake is one of the most popular shakes, along with chocolate malts! Use homemade chocolate sauce for an outstanding treat.
A burger, fries, and a shake is an all-American diner classic! Vanilla and chocolate are the most commonly ordered flavors. In this post, we will show you how you can make homemade chocolate milkshakes whenever you want without having to visit the drive-thru!
What You’ll Find In This Post
- What You Need To Make A Chocolate Milkshake
- How To Make A Chocolate Milkshake
- How To Make A Chocolate Malt
- More Ways To Make It
- Toppings and Mix-Ins
- What Others Want To Know
- Similar Recipes
What You Need To Make A Chocolate Milkshake
- Milk: Whole milk is the perfect consistency for making milkshakes. But you can also use skim milk for a thinner milkshake or heavy cream for a thicker one.
- Chocolate Sauce: We added our homemade chocolate sauce, but you can use store-bought as well.
- Malted Milk Powder: If you want to make a malt, you’ll also need chocolate malted milk powder.
- Ice Cream: We use vanilla ice cream when making shakes, but you can also use chocolate ice cream for a more intense chocolate flavor!
- Whipped Cream: We chose canned whipped cream because it is so convenient! You can also use homemade whipped cream or even whipped topping.
- Garnish: Top the shakes with chocolate sprinkles and a maraschino cherry!
How To Make A Chocolate Milkshake
Put the whole milk and chocolate sauce into the blender and blend until combined. Mixing the chocolate sauce in first helps it dissolve into the milk. If you add the ice cream right away, the chocolate sauce hardens, and it doesn’t blend in as smoothly.
Add the vanilla ice cream and blend until creamy.
Pour the homemade chocolate milkshake into two glasses and top with whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, and a cherry.
How To Make A Chocolate Malt
- Put the whole milk, chocolate sauce, and chocolate malted milk powder into the blender and blend until combined.
- Add the vanilla ice cream and blend until creamy.
- Pour into two glasses and top with whipped cream and malted milk balls.
More Ways To Make It
Everyone loves a classic shake, but sometimes it’s fun to switch up the flavor by making it another way! Here are a few more chocolate milkshake recipes:
Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- Add 1/2 cup of frozen banana slices.
- For extra banana flavor, add a couple of tablespoons of banana syrup.
- Top the chocolate banana shake with whipped cream and banana slices.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake
- Add 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter.
- Top the chocolate peanut butter shake with whipped cream and mini peanut butter cups.
White Chocolate Milkshake
- Use white chocolate sauce instead of regular chocolate sauce.
- Top the white chocolate shake with whipped cream and white chocolate shavings.
Toppings and Mix-Ins
We put whipped cream, sprinkles, and a cherry on our shakes, but there are so many other toppings you can add. You can add ingredients to the blender so they mix into your shakes!
Chocolate Shake Toppings
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Malted Milk Balls
- Oreo Crumbs
- Chocolate Chips
- Brownie Bits
Chocolate Milkshake Mix-Ins
- Malted Milk Powder
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Marshmallow Cream
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Chopped Oreos
What Others Want To Know
A malt includes malted milk powder, and a milkshake does not. They both have vanilla ice cream, whole milk, and chocolate sauce.
Yes, you can also make a chocolate milkshake in a food processor, with an immersion blender, or even with a stand or hand mixer.
You can add more ice cream or put it in the freezer until it thickens.
- A Brownie Shake is like eating brownies with ice cream on top!
- Our Banana Milkshake is full of yummy banana flavor.
- This Oreo Shake is for cookies and cream lovers.
- Make a Strawberry Milkshake for a delicious taste of summer!
- This Bubblegum Milkshake is perfect for kids!
- Put the whole milk and chocolate sauce into the blender. See notes for a chocolate malt. Mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla ice cream and blend until smooth.
- Pour into two chilled glasses.
- Top with whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, and a maraschino cherry.