Flavorful Mango Salsa Chicken has a sweet mango marinade and is topped with mango salsa! Serve it on top of rice, in tacos, or on a salad.
Chicken is such a great main dish for family dinners because there are endless ways to prepare it, and each way is unique! This grilled mango chicken has that sweet and tangy combo that is hard to resist, and the mango salsa on top brings it to the next level.
What You’ll Find In This Post
Mango Chicken Marinade
Start by making the marinade. Mix together mango nectar, honey, ancho chili powder, lime juice, and soy sauce.
Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into a separate bowl and set aside to use later as a glaze. To the remaining mixture, add the olive oil and rice vinegar.
What can I substitute for mango nectar?
If you can’t find mango nectar at your grocery store, you could use mango juice instead. Or try a mango juice blend such as mango pineapple or mango peach. Another option would be to puree mangos and add water to thin out the puree.
Flatten the chicken breasts so that they are an even thickness. Then place them in a large ziptop bag. Pour in the marinade, seal the bag, and turn to coat the chicken breasts with the marinade. Place the bag in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow the chicken to marinate.
Mango Salsa For Chicken
While the chicken is marinating, make the mango salsa recipe for chicken that is like our mango cucumber salad but diced smaller. Mix together diced mangos, cucumbers, green and red bell peppers, onions, and cilantro. Drizzle with freshly squeezed lime juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
How To Make Mango Salsa Chicken
We enjoy grilled chicken year-round, and when the weather won’t permit outdoor grilling, we use our cast iron grill pan indoors. I was only able to fit two chicken breasts in the pan, so I had to cook my four chicken breasts in two batches.
Pan Fried: Fry the chicken for 6 minutes over medium heat. Turn and brush with the mango glaze. Fry for three minutes. Brush with the glaze again and then fry for three-five minutes.
Mango Grilled Chicken: Grease the preheated grill grates and add the chicken. Close the cover and cook the chicken for 6 minutes. Turn the chicken over and brush it with the mango glaze. Close the cover and cook for three minutes. Brush with the glaze a final time and then cook for an additional three-five minutes.
Ways To Serve
Mango salsa chicken can be served as the main dish, as a topping to tacos or a salad, or as an appetizer with fondue. Here are a few recipes to serve with chicken and mango salsa:
- Dice the chicken and dip it in smoked gouda fondue!
- Top the grilled chicken with mango salsa on a bed of coconut rice!
- Homemade fried rice would be the perfect side dish.
- Make loaded nachos and top them with mango salsa chicken!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it would be delicious with pork as well! For the best results, you should marinate pork chops for at least three hours or overnight. Then you can cook them on the grill or oven or make air fryer pork chops.
Yes, the sweet flavor of ripe mangos is delicious with seasoned chicken breasts with mango salsa on top.
The chicken gets flavor from a mango marinade and glaze. The salsa is made with fresh mangos and crisp veggies.
More Chicken Recipes
- This Garlic and Herb Chicken recipe makes the BEST juicy, tender, flavorful chicken that is a perfect main dish or delicious on a salad and pasta.
- This Chipotle Chicken recipe is packed with flavor and perfect for tacos, burritos, and nachos. The easy marinade coats the chicken with delicious seasonings!
- Juicy Cilantro Lime Chicken is bursting with flavor! Cook it on the grill or stovetop for an easy weeknight dinner with rice and veggies.
- Grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken topped with fresh pepper salsa is a family favorite! Make it as a meal over rice or as an appetizer with fondue.
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 lime wedge
- dash of salt and pepper
- Mix together the mango nectar, honey, ancho chili powder, lime juice, and soy sauce. Remove ¼ cup of the mixture and set it aside for later as the mango glaze.
- Stir the olive oil and rice vinegar into the remaining mango mixture to make the marinade.
- Pound the chicken breast to flatten the thick parts. Then, place the chicken breasts in a gallon-size zip-top bag. Add the marinade and turn to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, make the salsa. Combine the diced mango, cucumber, green pepper, red pepper, onion, and cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over the top and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Grease the grill gates, add the chicken breasts, and discard the marinade. Cover and cook the chicken for 6 minutes. Turn the chicken over and brush with the mango glaze. Cook for 3 minutes, brush with the mango glaze, then cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F. Discard the remaining glaze.
- Preheat a cast iron grill pan over medium heat. Brush with olive oil, add the chicken breast, and discard the marinade. Fry the chicken for 6 minutes. Flip it over and brush with the mango glaze. Fry for three minutes. Brush with the glaze again and then fry for 3-5 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F. Discard the remaining glaze.