Here’s our easy Milkshake Recipe for making creamy shakes at home! Use it to whip up a vanilla, chocolate, Oreo, or strawberry milkshake.
There’s nothing quite like a cold milkshake on a hot summer day! This basic recipe can be used to make any flavor you can dream up.
All you need to make a milkshake is ice cream, milk, and a flavoring of your choice! The best part is that you can add whatever you want to make your favorite flavors. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Since there are only a few ingredients in a milkshake, you’ll want to buy the best quality ice cream you can for the best flavor.
- Milk: We used whole milk because it is thicker and helps keep the shake creamy.
- Whipped Cream: Every milkshake needs whipped cream on top!
- Cherries: A maraschino cherry with a stem looks pretty on top but is totally optional.
- Toppings: It’s fun to add sprinkles, jimmies, or chopped cookies and candies to the top of shakes.
Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
This strawberry milkshake recipe is made with fresh, juicy strawberries for the ultimate treat! Raspberries or blueberries would work as well.
- Put the milk, vanilla ice cream, and sliced strawberries into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the strawberry milkshake into two glasses and top with whipped cream, pink jimmies sprinkles, and a maraschino cherry.
- Note: If your strawberries aren’t very ripe and juicy, you can slice them, sprinkle them with granulated sugar, and place them in the refrigerator for an hour or two. Drain the excess juice before adding the strawberries to the blender.
How To Make an Oreo Milkshake
This irresistible Oreo Milkshake gives you that cookies and cream flavor everyone loves! It has Oreos blended up inside the shake and little bits on top as well. You can substitute the Oreos with other cookies such as Chips Ahoy or Nutter Butter to make other flavors.
- Roughly chop enough Oreos until you have about one half of a cup. Then, finely chop enough for about one tablespoon of crumbs.
- Put the whole milk, vanilla ice cream, and roughly chopped Oreos into the blender and blend until creamy.
- Divide the oreo milkshake between two glasses and top with whipped cream, Oreo crumbs, and a cherry.
Vanilla Milkshake Recipe
The Vanilla Milkshake is a classic for a reason! It’s always a good choice because it’s always delicious.
- Put the whole milk, vanilla ice cream, and vanilla extract into the blend and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Divided the vanilla milkshake between two glasses and top with a swirl of whipped cream, rainbow jimmies sprinkles, and a maraschino cherry.
Chocolate Milkshake Recipe
A Chocolate Milkshake is one of the most popular shakes ever right alongside chocolate malts! Use homemade chocolate sauce for an outstanding treat.
- Put the whole milk and chocolate sauce into the blender and blend until combined. We used our homemade chocolate sauce (find our recipe here) but you can use store-bought as well.
- Add the vanilla ice cream and blend until creamy.
- Pour the chocolate milkshake into two glasses and top with whipped cream, chocolate jimmies sprinkles, and a cherry.
Milkshake Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
To make a milkshake, blend together vanilla ice cream, milk, and flavorings until smooth and creamy.
A malt includes malted milk powder and a milkshake does not. They both have ice cream, milk, and flavorings.
Looking for more cool treats for hot summer days? Try these recipes next:
Snow Cones are universally loved by children and adults as well. A Snocone is a classic summer treat that you can easily make at home!
Shave Ice is like fluffy fresh snow! You can drizzle your favorite flavored syrups on top and add gummies, sprinkles, or even whipped cream.
Fried Ice Cream is so fun to eat! It has a warm, crunchy shell wrapped around cold vanilla ice cream. It is quickly deep-fried and we love eating it with cinnamon chips.
This Orange Whip recipe is an Orange Julius copycat! It’s a great way to cool off on a hot summer day but can also be served as a breakfast or brunch beverage.