Sweet Cornbread is the spicier, sweeter version of traditional cornbread. It’s like having a slice of cake with your dinner!
My friend Becky introduced me to sweet cornbread and I’ve been making it ever since. It is so good that I had to share the recipe here so that you can enjoy it as well! We like to have this cornbread with my basic chili recipe.
Start by putting a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven at 425˚F for 10-15 minutes while preparing the recipe.
Put the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl. Stir until combined.
Add the buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Stir until combined.
Do you have a buttermilk substitute?
I rarely have buttermilk on hand so yes there are a couple of options for a substitute to use in this sweet cornbread recipe. One is to store powdered buttermilk like this in your refrigerator. Simply mix it with water when you are ready to use it.
Another option is to make a buttermilk substitute. For one cup of buttermilk, mix 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (or lemon juice) into 1 cup of whole milk. Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes before using it.
Remove the skillet from the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 375˚F. Put one tablespoon of butter into the cast iron skillet and use it to coat the bottom and sides of the pan.
Spread the sweet cornbread batter out in the skillet.
Would this sweet cornbread recipe work in a 9×13 pan?
Yes, you can make this sweet cornbread in a 9×13 pan instead of a cast-iron skillet as I did in this cornbread recipe. Skip heating the pan in the oven and just preheat the oven to 350˚F and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Bake the sweet cornbread at 375˚F for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (find my recipe here).
Can I use this sweet cornbread recipe to make muffins?
Yes, you can turn this sweet cornbread recipe into cornbread muffins. Divide the batter between muffin cups instead of spreading it in a cast-iron skillet. Bake them at 350˚ for 17-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
What goes on cornbread?
Cornbread is most often topped with butter. To make it more special, you can mix a little honey and some ground cinnamon into the butter. Other toppings choices include:
- maple syrup
- strawberry jam
- fried apples (find my recipe here)
What more bread recipes? Try these next:
This Two Ingredient Dough Focaccia Bread recipe is a NO YEAST bread that is super easy to make! It can be served as a side, an appetizer, or used for sandwiches.
These Crispy Italian Breadsticks are perfect for serving with soup. Or use this recipe to make Parmesan cheese twists to serve as an appetizer!
Serve Two Ingredient Dough Naan Flatbread as a side or turn it into mini pizzas or sandwich wraps! It’s EASY to make with no yeast and no waiting for dough to rise!
These Buttermilk Biscuits are fluffy and tender. They are perfect for a breakfast of biscuits and gravy or served as a dinner side.
Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup salted butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter for the pan
- ¼ cup cinnamon sugar find my recipe here
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Put a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon.
- Add the buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Stir until combined.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 375˚F. Put one tablespoon of butter into the cast iron skillet and use it to coat the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Spread the batter out in the skillet. Bake at 375˚F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.