This easy Deviled Eggs recipe has a creamy, tangy filling with paprika and chives on top. It’s a holiday staple and picnic favorite!
This is the perfect appetizer for holiday dinners from Easter to Thanksgiving.
Deviled eggs are a classic appetizer that everyone loves. They are a wonderful addition to parties, potlucks, picnics, and holiday dinners. You can keep them simple or dress them with up fancy garnishes. If you have the time, make a few different flavors to serve!
What You’ll Find In This Post
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This traditional appetizer only requires a few ingredients, it’s easy to make, it can be prepared ahead of time, and it’s a crowd favorite! You may think of Easter as being the most popular time to serve stuffed eggs, but Thanksgiving is the winner. That being said, it is one of those recipes that continue to be prepared year-round, from 4th of July picnics to Halloween parties.
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
There are only a few basic ingredients needed to make this easy appetizer recipe. We’ve included some suggestions for substitutions, and you can also see the additional recipes section below for more ideas.
- Eggs: For this recipe, you’ll need six hard-boiled eggs that have been cooled. Wondering how to make hard-boiled eggs? See our blog post for how long to boil eggs here. It includes tips on how to peel them easily!
- Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise makes the filling creamy and adds flavor. If you want to use less mayo, you can reduce it to two tablespoons and add a mashed avocado. Keep in mind that if you add avocado, it will change the color of the filling.
- Mustard: You can use your favorite prepared mustard in this recipe. Or, if you don’t have any on hand, substitute the prepared mustard with 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard.
- Seasoning: We seasoned the filling with sea salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Garnish: Sprinkle a little extra paprika over the prepared stuffed eggs and sprinkle them with chives.
How To Make Deviled Eggs
One of the reasons you’ll love this recipe is that it is so easy to make! Plus, you can make it ahead of time and bring it with you to share.
- Eggs: Peel the hard-boiled eggs and slice them in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and place them in a bowl. Use a fork to mash the yolks.
- Filling: Stir mayonnaise, mustard, sea salt, black pepper, and paprika into the mashed yolk. Divide the filling between the egg whites. You can use a small dough scoop for equal portions or simply use two spoons. If you want to make fancy deviled eggs, put the filling in a pastry bag fitted with an open-star piping tip. Then pipe the filling into the egg whites.
- Garnish: Sprinkle the eggs with additional paprika and chives before serving.
Additional Deviled Egg Recipes
Deviled Eggs With Relish
To make deviled eggs with relish, reduce the amount of mayonnaise to three tablespoons and add one tablespoon of sweet or dill relish.
Bacon Deviled Eggs
For bacon deviled eggs, cook three slices of bacon, allow them to cool, and then crumble them. Follow the recipe as directed but use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika to complement the bacon. Also, to keep the bacon crispy, wait until serving them to add the bacon crumbles.
Spicy Deviled Eggs
Love spicy foods? Make spicy deviled eggs by using spicy mustard; add 1-2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce and half of a seeded and finely diced jalapeno. Garnish with jalapeno slices.
Make Ahead and Storage
- Make Ahead: You can make deviled eggs ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Wait until serving time to add the garnishes.
- Refrigerator: Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is made of egg yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika.
Seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, ranch
Condiments: relish, prepared mustard, hot sauce, vinegar
Veggies: onions, celery, peppers, avocado, tomato
Meat: bacon, ham, sausage
Dressing: mayonnaise, sour cream, Greek yogurt, ranch
You can mash them up to make deviled egg salad or chop them up and use them to make deviled egg potato salad.
Want more appetizer recipes? Try these next:
A cold Veggie Pizza always makes an appearance at potlucks and parties! The puff pastry crust, creamy ranch spread, and colorful veggies are the perfect combo.
Spinach Artichoke Dip is one of the most popular appetizers. Try it for your next party, and you’ll love how easy it is to make.
You can serve Cowboy Caviar as a side salad, as a salsa with tortilla chips, or put it on top of grilled chicken and fish!
For a sweet appetizer, make this Fruit Dip recipe with cream cheese and marshmallow cream! Serve fresh strawberries, grapes, and sliced apples.
love that white plate with handles, do you know where I could get it?
We love it too! We found it at a small kitchen shop but you can get it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/3iyynA1