This Pizza Pockets recipe is made with a simple two ingredient dough crust filled with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and pizza sauce!
Our kids love Hot Pockets, so we came up with an easy copycat version we can make at home! Their favorite pocket pizza is pepperoni and cheese with a garlic butter crust with four cheese as a close second. We all love this homemade version and want to try making other varieties.
Here’s Everything You Need To Make Pizza Pockets
Two Ingredient Dough Crust
Two ingredient dough is made with self-rising flour and plain, fat-free Greek yogurt. It’s a simple dough to prepare and can be used to make everything from pizza crust to baguettes. We love yeastless two-ingredient dough because it is so easy to make without having to wait for the dough to rise.
If you prefer a traditional pizza crust, you can make homemade pizza dough or buy store-bought pizza dough. Other options include using bread dough or refrigerated biscuit dough.
Fillings and Seasonings
Since we made a copycat of our kid’s favorite Hot Pockets, we filled them with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, and pizza sauce. But the best thing about homemade pizza pockets is that you can fill them with any of your favorite pizza toppings or sandwich fillings!
For the seasoning, we brushed garlic butter on the crusts before baking them. Depending on what fillings you choose, you could also add parmesan cheese, cajun seasoning, buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning, or pizza seasoning.
How To Make Pocket Pizza
You can these copycat hot pockets in four steps: prep the dough, add fillings, brush with seasoning, and bake.
- Dough: Make the two ingredient dough, divide the dough into six pieces, and roll each piece into a rectangle.
- Fill: Layer your fillings of choice in the center of the dough and then fold up the sides of the dough, forming a pocket around the filling. Press the seams to seal them.
- Season: Brush melted butter and garlic powder on the crust.
- Bake: Place the pocket pizzas on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown.
- Sausage: Use cooked and crumbled Italian sausage and mozzarella cheese with pizza sauce.
- Ham and Cheese: Use diced ham, shredded cheddar cheese, and cheese sauce. Brush the crust with melted butter.
- Taco: Use cooked and crumbled ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning. Add shredded pepper jack cheese, nacho cheese, and pico de gallo.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch: Fill the pockets with diced chicken, bacon crumbles, mozzarella cheese, and creamy ranch dressing. Brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle with ranch seasoning.
- Philly Cheese Steak: Layer sliced steak, mozzarella cheese, sliced bell peppers, and diced onions on the dough. Brush the crust with garlic butter.
For leftovers, allow them to cool and then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to two months. Reheat them in the microwave or air fryer.
To freeze pizza pockets, prepare them as directed in the recipe. Then, place them on a plate or a tray and put them in the freezer for 1-2 hours to allow the crust to freeze. Next, remove them from the freezer, wrap each one tightly with plastic wrap or foil and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Store them in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to bake, unwrap the pizza pockets and place them on a baking sheet while preheating the oven. Bake them at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pizza Pockets
A pocket is a pouch used for carrying or containing small things. A pizza pocket has a pocket made with dough that contains pizza toppings.
Air fry them at 350˚F for 14-16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Yes, you can make them using rectangles of pizza dough. Add your favorite toppings and fold the dough around the toppings to form a pocket.
Want more two ingredient dough recipes? Try these next:
- You can use Two Ingredient Dough Naan Flatbread as a side or turn it into mini pizzas or sandwich wraps!
- Two Ingredient Dough Pretzel Bites taste like soft pretzels from the mall without all of the work!
- We love eating Two Ingredient Dough Focaccia Bread with pasta and soup.
- Two Ingredient Dough Garlic Knots are a delicious appetizer or side for pizza and pasta.
Two Ingredient Dough Pizza Pockets
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Put the self-rising flour and plain, fat-free Greek yogurt in a large bowl. Mix on low speed until the dough clumps together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Sprinkle with flour, knead several times, and form into a ball. Roll into a large rectangle. Cut into 6 sections.
- Roll each section into a rectangle. Add pepperoni slices, shredded mozzarella cheese, and pizza sauce. Fold up the sides and ends. Press to seal. Place on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Combine the melted butter and garlic powder. Brush on the pizza pockets.
- Bake at 375˚F for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.